The Greater Boston area is divided into many distinct neighborhoods. To help narrow your search, keep the following considerations in mind:
- What price range can I honestly afford?
- How far away from campus do I want to be?
- Where are my other obligations (job, internship, etc.) located?
- What transportation, at what times, is available? If you plan to take public transportation, the MBTA has a trip planner available: http://www.mbta.com/
- How early/late in the day might I be traveling?
- Will I require parking?
- Is this apartment near supermarkets, stores, laundromat, banking, etc.
- Is there an excess of noise (traffic, tourists, trains, sirens, bars, etc.)?
Before making a final decision, walk around the neighborhood(s) that you are looking at, talk with residents, and stop by the local police station to get a sense of culture, community, and safety.